Sign Up for the Get It Together Girl Newsletter

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Crayons and Coloring Books

I have a pack of 64 Crayola Crayons. You know, the ones you wanted as a kid with the sharpener in the back. I haven't had them since childhood. In fact, I bought them recently, along with a few coloring books. No, I wasn't planning on babysitting or entertaining guests with young children. I brought them for me.


It might seem strange but there is a method to my madness. When I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed, I pull out my coloring book and I color. It relaxes me.


I remember speaking to a psychologist once who told me that she recommended for her patients to reach back into their youths and reconnect with an old past time or hobby. I thought about what I liked to do and while somethings seemed a little far-fetched for an adult - climbing trees, playing tag or four square -somethings were definitely doable.


Coloring was one. Word puzzles were another. I found several books of word games and honestly, it was like reconnecting with an old friend. It was relaxing. It was fun. It was oddly therapeutic. Both coloring and word games were also cheap!!! LOL! It can be a nice alternative to costly retail therapy or pound-packing emotional eating.


Surprisingly, a key component to relieving stress was locked away, a secret of my youth. I wonder what other good things I've managed to lock away back there or just forget?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Karyn, that's a wonderful idea. NLP uses a similar technique, the transference of a positive feeling that one experiences in one area of ones life into another area of ones life in which one is having difficulty in. So by bringing back the memories of coloring as a child and re-establishing that mood in present time it becomes easier to view present time stressors from within the energy of that same positive perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, I never thought about tying this concept to NLP but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for that insight!

    ReplyDelete