Sign Up for the Get It Together Girl Newsletter

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Time for a Change

“So how’s that working for you?” This is Dr. Phil’s favorite question and when he asks it, the answer is usually ‘No’. Basically, it comes after the person he is interviewing describes their current situation and the behaviors that have led them to the show. Frankly, what they are doing isn’t working.

Tipping the scale at the heaviest I’ve ever been, I decided it was time for a change. I headed back to Weight Watchers. I had successfully lost weight on the program before and I was sure I could do it again. When I tell people I’m on the program, I get either one of two responses.

The first group of people are excited and happy for me. The second group says something like “I can’t count Points.” This is the beginning of a list of reasons why the plan wouldn’t work for them. First of all, I am not trying to recruit people. I’m doing this for me so whether or not the plan is for them is inconsequential.

Second, if what I was doing (fast food, sugary snacks, large portion sizes, occasional exercise) was working, I wouldn’t need Weight Watchers. If I wanted a change, I need to do something different. Different results require different actions. I could count points, purchase a lot of Jenny Craig or Nutri-System meals, eliminate carbs, take the latest weight loss pills, or kill myself at the gym,  but something would have to change.

The key is finding the right change for me. And although I am using weight loss as an example, this applies to any area where a change is desired. Want to save money? You have to change your spending. Want an improved relationship? You are both going to have to do some things differently if you want it to work.

Ask yourself, “How’s this working for me.?” If the answer is no, you know what you need to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment