Sign Up for the Get It Together Girl Newsletter

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Same As It Ever Was

I remember it like it was yesterday – even though it was six years ago. I was sitting at my desk in my cubicle at work. I had just hung up the phone with my boyfriend. A chill ran down my spine as I had a true epiphany.

I realized, as I put down the receiver that a year from that moment, I could be in the exact same place – same job (with no promotion), same boyfriend (not fiancé or husband), living in the same apartment (no closer to owning), pretty much living the exact same life. And it could be the same the year after that and the year after that.

“What if nothing changes?” I thought.

The answer is that I wouldn’t be miserable but I wouldn’t be happy either. I would be … the same. Few thoughts have scared me more. It was a real internal wake-up call. I knew at that moment, if I didn’t make a change, nothing would change. It was all on me.

I asked myself several other hard questions. What do I want? What am I willing to do to get it? Over the next 6 months, I answered those questions and I took action.

I decided that the relationship was never going to get me where I wanted to be, so I ended it. There was no where for me to go in my position so I started circulating my resume; I also seriously started entertaining the idea of moving to California to pursue my screenwriting career.

8 months later, I was a very single girl unpacking the few bags I had in Los Angeles, California. A lot has happened since then – wrote a short film, moved to Charlotte, bought a house, embarked on a new career. Yet it all started with a couple of questions.

(Hard Questions + Honest Answers) x Action = Results

No comments:

Post a Comment