Sign Up for the Get It Together Girl Newsletter

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Smarty Marty

My dog Marty recently celebrated his 12th birthday. In dog year’s, he’s 64 (for a true dog age calculator based on breed, click here). I’ve had him for 10 of his 12 years. Together we’ve moved across country and back. He’s been there for me through thick and thin. Boyfriends have come and go but Marty has remained my constant companion and biggest fan.

Pets bring so much to our lives and Marty has given me so much joy over the years. However, he’s also taught me a thing or two.

A Little Enthusiasm Goes a Long Way: Marty is genuinely excited to see me when I get home and sometimes after a bad day, it helps that some living thing who is excited to see me! His enthusiasm is definitely contagious!

Forgive and Forget: Marty doesn’t carry a grudge. Even if I yell at him or scold him, in a few minutes, it’s all forgotten and forgiven. Of course, that is much easier for a canine than a human but I think we could all be a little more forgiving at times.

Forget Your Age: To see Marty, you’d have no idea he’s 12 (or 64). He still bounces out of the door for walks and chases after other dogs and even the occasional rabbit. If he had any idea how old he is, I can’t tell! Don’t let your age keep you from enjoying yourself and having fun! Enjoy life!

Be a Good Friend:  Marty is good at reading my moods. He can tell when I’m down or upset and he is always ready with a cuddle or even to lick a tear from my eye. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up with ourselves that we don’t connect with those closest to us. We always need to be ready with love and support when a spouse, friend, or child is having a difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment